Tuesday, March 4, 2008

ADD - or just general disinterest after the inital excitement wears off? Hmmm?


Just like everything new in my life - I am all gung-ho at the beginning, but then my interest goes the way of the Dodo...

I have been so busy with knitting over the past month, that it is actually humourous that I haven't posted anything, at all, on my knitting blog!

I just finished a bag for a bag exchange. I was wanting something original and creative to send over the pond and it was driving me crazy! The lady that I am to send the bag to is from England - wool mecca! I couldn't simply throw some acrylic worsted together in a stash busting attempt, it had to be quality!

One day there was a lady at the store who had the most interesting bag. It wasn't anything about the fabric or fabric pattern that was interesting, it was the makeup of the bag that caught my eye. It was essentially 2 pieces of fabric - a rectangle folded into a square attached to a long strip that was sewed to the outer edges of the square from the bottom to the top. The long strip essentially became the sides and the shoulder strap of the bag. "How incredibly unique - and it looks easy to knit!", was my thought - and for once, my thought was correct! I hope that she wasn't too disturbed by me following her through the store, and walking around her several times in an attempt to view the purse from as many angles as possible without disturbing her - and I do apologize to you if I did.

I made a chart for a damask-style butterfly and vines that became the centrepiece of the purse. The girls were kind enough to felt it for me - and I have decided that I will use child labour for the felting process from now on. I don't understand why I didn't use the childrens' talents of skiddling the last time I found myself hunched over a pail...?

It is now off to England for it's new owner - I hope that she likes it!

On top of that I have knitted a camera for the drama production that Ally is involved with. The script required her to throw a camera at one of the characters, but we found out (the hard way) that cameras hurt when they hit you. The brilliant Naevyne came up with the idea of me knitting a camera - and so I did!

Steph walks in and sits down beside me and glances over, "So what are you working on now?"
"I'm knitting a camera."
Pause. "Hmm, knitting a camera? What are you using for the shutter?"
I think, 'smartass', but manage not to voice it. "I'm knitting the camera, so I think you can safely assume that it will be made of yarn." See, I can be a smartass, too.
"What kind of film will it use?" Ahha. He's still thinking he's pretty smart.
"It's digital." I win!

Naevyne has been systematically throwing the camera at anyone who will come within her throwing range to test out her theory that knitted cameras don't hurt. Ally has proven it wrong. A camera in the eye - knitted or not - hurts.

Hey, you live and learn!

1 comment:

Wye Sue said...

Thank you I do love it.. and the child labour involved in making it !!

I do live in a very sheepy area - on Welsh borders with lots of fields filled of sheep with their lambs...