Thursday, January 24, 2008

Temptation + Procrastination = A Barefoot Steph




These are the latest (shamefully, in every meaning of the word) socks in the works for Steph. Last years socks were finished the week before this Christmas. I like knitting socks in the toe up manner - it mixes things up a bit - especially, when Steph prefers boring socks - knit, knit, knit!

I was having a lot of trouble deciding which yarn, colour, etc... to go with - too much selection makes Heather's eye twitch. After several failed yarn store visits ending with me leaving sock yarn-less, I took Naevyne with me to choose. You have got to love the clarity of a 5 year old. She took less than 30 seconds to peruse the 100 or so different balls and confidently choose which yarn will be best for her Daddy!

Now, this particular sock yarn threw me for a loop when I went to pull out the centre - there was a roll of thread stuck in there! Why? (Okay, all of you who already know why need to stop rolling your eyes at me right now - I want to believe I am not the only person who has come across this phenomena!). After a quick check on Lang's website I was able to determine that it to be knitted into the toe and heel of the sock for reinforcement. Pretty great idea, right!
Now on to the evils of temptation and procrastination...

As I sat, dutifully, knitting this incredibly boring sock (I wasn't even at a point where I could start turning the heel or use my "special" thread!) the silk started calling me. While the girls were at Sparks, my little mind was racing with ideas for using the red raw silk and the recycled sari silk. Sir, I have a cunning plan...

The plan is for a Valentine's day gift for the each of the girls, so you will have to wait to see what it is, but it required me to put down Steph's sock and at least roll the hanks into balls. It had to be done, plus a girl scout is always prepared! The above photo shows you exactly what a mess a hank of raw silk can turn into before you put it down in disgust. The recycled silk wasn't much better, but I started it a good hour and a half earlier, so, I must have had more patience at that time of the evening.
I am trying to justify to myself that I can knit the sock during the day, around the girls, and then I can dedicate the "after-bed" knitting to the silk for their gifts and keep it a surprise. Meanwhile, the little voice in the back of my head is quietly reminding me that I need to dye the white wool green so that I can knit the dragon hat for Ty, and it has to be done soon so that I can mail it out in time for his birthday.
Sadly, I believe I may be suffering from the ailment of procrastination. If anyone else suspects they may have been infected by this ailment, they should watch this

No comments: