Thursday, March 6, 2008

How to make a birthday last and last and last...

I have been coveting a hat pattern for at least a year. It has a turtle on it! Who doesn't like turtles?! I know Mado likes turtles - she fought tirelessly to help preserve their habitat. Unfortunately, at the time that Mado was in the middle of her turtle-protection fight she had a big head. Okay, her actual head wasn't big, it was just hard to cover due the awesome dreads she had. But this winter - perhaps as a gift just for me - she cut her dreads! Now I can knit turtle hats to my heart's content. The fates conspired, and she had a birthday in February! Lucky me!

She's had to wait over a year to get this perfect gift of turtleness, so I certainly couldn't present it to her on her birthday - no, that would be far too easy (and require me to actually plan ahead and meet a deadline). The best thing about this hat is that it has singlehandedly managed to extend her birthday celebrations a whole 3 weeks! (It is always important to look on the positive side of procrastination...)

Isn't it true that your birthday isn't over until you open your last gift?







I got this pattern from Kody May Knits. Check her out if you absolutely love hats! She has whacks of free (the best kind) hat patterns.
http://kodymayknits.blogspot.com/


I knitted this hat with T'ika cotton from Hatcho. I have to say that I absolutely loved this cotton - it didn't come up with weird twists and idiosyncrasies in the stitches of the finished product like some other pima cottons I have used. On top of that, it is eco-friendly, fairtraded cotton - which I was sure that someone like Mado would appreciate.

No comments: