Now, imagine my shock and dismay when Steph, being the lucky recipient of 3 new pairs of handknit socks by yours truly (in a space of less than 6 months, no less!), deigned to complain (he swears he only "commented") that his socks are "too colourful" and could I not knit him plainer socks for summer months - read: when they are going to be visible and able to be admired.
I threw the ball of yarn I was working with (which was, incidentally, in the progress of being knitted into another pair of socks for him!) at his head.
"Try that on!"
"It's only yarn...", he looks at me as if I have grown a second head.
"Exactly!"
He put on the self-striping green, blue and purple socks without another comment.
His buddy, bearing witness to this, had the good grace (and superior judgement) to make sure that I knew that he would wear any colour of socks - PROUDLY - if I made them for him.
Steph left the house, for a boys night out, with something to think about and a fresh lecture about "friends will not make fun of the colour of your socks, and if they do, they aren't your real friends".
This is Steph's foot the day after the "needle incident". I don't know why he didn't have the forethought to just stay still and let me take a quick photo of his foot while the needle was still in it...hindsight is 20/20.
The 2mm dp went through the tip of his baby toe, then through the pad of the outer ball of his foot and out.
I left my knitting on the floor by the couch, as he walked up to the couch to sit down he kicked my knitting under it, but one of the dp's caught on the leg - ouch!
Ironcially enough, this occurred shortly after I had reminded him not to wear shoes in the house (7 years and counting!). To top it all off, when he sat down on the couch so I could take this photo, he sat on a safety pin that had opened up and slipped between the cushions (he wouldn't let me take a photo of that injury!).
Although, I highly recommended him going to get a Tetanus shot, he chose to treat it with tea tree oil. Today he is none the worse for wear, except for a healthy wariness of my dp's.
As a couple, we have grown from this experience:
1. I will not leave my knitting unattended on the floor or on the couch. This is why I have a knitting bag right beside the couch.
2. I will be more careful to account for the sewing notions that I use - ie. darning needles, safety pins, scissors. This is why I have a sewing box right beside the couch.
3. These "incidents" are in no way a valid excuse to keep shoes on in the house!
No comments:
Post a Comment